Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast

Thread: What did I learn today?

Reality TV is actually interesting when the angry manchild character and the overweight nutjob character have nuclear weapons.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryce For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Reality TV is actually interesting when the angry manchild character and the overweight nutjob character have nuclear weapons.
    Which one of those is Trump...?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soda For This Useful Post:

The high-speed train (Acela) between New York and Washington DC is pretty nice. And has internet and power. Wish our local commuter railroad had that...

The high-speed train (Acela) between New York and Washington DC is pretty nice. And has internet and power. Wish our local commuter railroad had that...
    Seriously, if only the LIRR followed suit. *Sigh* And if they'd make a convenient train route between NYC and Syracuse that didn't cost as much as a damn plane flight, that'd be nice as well.
    "Ahh, Frankie Sinatra, ahh, Frank Sinatra, Frankie me boy, you don't know, you have the perfect voice to sing calypso."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiggles For This Useful Post:

I was going to mention that there are outlets on the LIRR, but a bit of research indicated that they're not for public use and can potentially damage electronics, being intended for much less sensitive train maintenance equipment.
    I believe that the new M9 cars are supposed to have passenger outlets, though. Oh, and it looks like the first ones will actually begin testing next month, with the full order arriving starting next June.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Reese For This Useful Post:

Well, you could always use a robust power conditioner device, but at that point you'd be better off just bringing a second battery I'd think, unless you have a stupid Apple (or now, even Samsung, alas) device with no interchangeable battery.

Oh, I now also learned that I am staying in the hotel Reagan was shot at, the "Hinckley Hilton." (One of my colleagues picked it.)

"Stupid Apple?" Hey, now! Them's fightin' words! :P
    "Ahh, Frankie Sinatra, ahh, Frank Sinatra, Frankie me boy, you don't know, you have the perfect voice to sing calypso."

Apple used to be cool, they really went down hill after they decided that the one factor determining quality in an electronic device was "thinness." :/

Today I actually heard a scientist say gigawatt as "jiggawatt." A foreigner, but still.

I still stand by Apple. I’ve had problems with every single android phone I’ve had. Apple products just work better.

Little pony, apparently Winston's Avatar
    I've never found Apple products to really work any differently or be better. Mostly I've just found them to be inexplicably more expensive for the same stuff (sometimes literally identical off-the-shelf parts, too - their computers are just PCs with their trademark logo silkscreened on, then sold for a big markup).

Not to say that I care whether or not someone uses Apple because I'm sure their stuff is fine. I just haven't been able to find any distinct advantage to it, is all.

Well, while I wouldn't touch an iPhone due to it being a walled garden, I'd still take a Mac over a Windows-based environment, mainly because it's ultimately UNIX-based and therefore more familiar to me. My computing trajectory was DOS (barely remembered, as a small child), Classic Mac, OS X, Linux. I think Windows people don't realize how weird Windows is if you haven't been raised with it. Yes, the GUI stuff is similar, but the command line is not, at least unless you get a port of a UNIX shell. The underlying OS is also seriously different. It's as weird as classic mac OS compared to the de-facto standard of POSIX. I guess I'd install mingw and all that to just try to pretend to be using *NIX as much as possible, if I had to use Windows on a daily basis.

I remember, the first time I had to develop for Windows during an internship, how shocked and horrified I was that the flagship compiler that MS provided cost money. Whuaa, you want me to pay to support your OS? But of course that makes perfect sense if you are a monopolist who everyone has to support anyway, as opposed to someone desperately trying to get as many developers as possible to support your minority platform.

TL;DR: Windows, bleh. I'd rather use a Mac, even, expensive PC or not.

Aww, darn. So that means you guys won’t be lining up to get the new iPhone X, which costs more than the entire Cracker Barrel menu? XD (Yes, I do like iPhones, but even I think that’s ridiculous. I’m perfectly happy with my 7. And why the hell did they skip 8 and 9????)
    Last edited by Wiggles; 09-21-2017 at 08:48 AM.

I learned today that the size and fanciness of an embassy doesn't correlate as strongly with the country's wealth or the importance of its relationship with us to it as I might have thought. Maybe some of those tiny Eastern European countries are compensating for something.

Washington DC's Union Station is pretty ghetto and poorly designed due to the botched remodeling that made it into a bad shopping mall. I actually have to give NY Penn Station a little credit for at least being primarily a train station still...

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
    And why the hell did they skip 8 and 9????
    I believe it was something to do with the tenth anniversary of the iPhone, or some such nonsense. Like Microsoft before them, Apple is unable to count contiguously.

I learned today that the size and fanciness of an embassy doesn't correlate as strongly with the country's wealth or the importance of its relationship with us to it as I might have thought. Maybe some of those tiny Eastern European countries are compensating for something.
    The people of the Grand People's Republic of Transnistria object to these blatant accusations!

If you wish to send an apology, please post it to:

Transnistrian Overcompensation Apologies Department Department,
    Suite 157025, Floor 157,
    The Baleful and Almighty Transnistrian Citadel,
    No. 1 Obscenely Important Boulevard,
    Washington D.C.
    The United States of Americanistria.
    "Mistletoe... it's often infested with nargles." -Luna Lovegood

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Soda For This Useful Post:

I learned today that I have cultivated a sufficient reputation for eccentricity that I can be seen loading tree branches into the oven without question or comment from my housemates.

Koalas have cloacas.
    "Mistletoe... it's often infested with nargles." -Luna Lovegood

Parrots growl.

Parrots growl.
    O_____O; Seriously?!