Thread: Issue 3 Page 13

There's that genius inventor we all know and love.

Click here to view the article.

Interesting. Just what is that thing using for engines?

Heck if I know, I'm not an aeronautical engineer. Presumably some kind of tiny booster? *shrug*

...Erm. I think I'll go with my first guess and say "magitech". Or, rather, technology utilizing physics of a sort more commonly associated with the occult than conventional science but nevertheless demonstrably extant in the Rescue Rangers universe.
    (I suspect that there's a bit of that in a lot of things Gadget builds, actually.)

When I say I don't know, I mean I'm not well-versed enough to tell you exactly what kind, but I can tell you they work. Most physics can be miniaturized with minor adjustments; that's why Mythbusters uses scale proof-of-concepts and why miniature airplanes fly. The reason why the Rescue Rangers have had to use hacked-together equipment in the past has not been physical impossibility. The engines are probably a liquid fuel engine with an off-center intake and a secondary small-burst booster, fueled by the tank between the two pods, but I couldn't tell you if any manufacturing company built them or if Gadget had to construct them herself.

I've always assumed that most of Gadget's "classic" inventions work via clockwork and springs, which is why her stuff tends to decompress violently in the show.

Oh, I'm not disputing that they work. ...Are you saying that they'd work under our currently-know physics, though? Interesting. And liquid-fuelled airbreathing? Hm. Not sure what that would be. It would help if we knew what color the glow was. And what's this about a secondary booster?

Yeah. The amount of force necessary to propel an object is roughly proportional to its mass, so a smaller object needs less force, which in turn requires less fuel to create. A liquid-fueled jet engine would be like what you see on large commercial jet airplanes or fighter jets, and in this case, it's probably more similar to the latter. As for the secondary booster, well... we'll see ;9

Oh, certainly there are jet engines for vehicles around that size; some model airplanes use them. Those might be slightly bigger than this, but I think Gadget could do some further miniaturisation. This doesn't look to me like any sort of jet engine I'm familiar with, though. One might be able to cram a centrifugal compressor engine in there, but that still wouldn't explain the glowing exhaust. One of my first thoughts was actually some sort of micro hybrid thermal jet/NSWR, before I quickly realized that NSWRs probably have a physically limited minimum size due to criticality requirements. Could still be some sort of fusion-powered thermal jet, though, with heavy water as the fuel... but to do that in a space like this might well require magitech anyway. (And there's the radiation issue, of course, but, assuming Gadget's not found a way around that, I'm not sure she'd care. Actually, given that elements of the show spaceplane's design (particularly the lack of large visible air intakes) suggest it could also be nuclear, if it's not based on exotic physics, this universe might be less concerned with radioactivity than ours in general. Hm. Interesting idea. But I'm getting off topic.) I'm still not sure what would cause the sharp horizontal line displayed in the second panel, but that could be an artifact of the fusion confinement system. ...Hm. Though, actually, isn't leaving a glowing trail behind the craft pretty bad for stealth? Ohhh, hm, actually, that line wouldn't happen to be Cherenkov Blue, would it? If so, it could perhaps be a result of a tight beam of particles forming part of the exhaust, explaining its linearity and providing a possible explanation for its existence: going into a dangerous situation, Gadget decided that they ought to be able to apply the Kzinti Lesson with extreme prejudice. Hopefully, if that's the case, they're being careful about innocents behind them, though; that would be kind of insanely dangerous. ...Actually, probably too much so to be plausible, if things aren't being sliced in half in their wake. Bother, and that seemed like a good explanation.
    Hm, well, I think I'll leave off here for now; I've other things I need to do. Quite a lot to think about from this page, though!

That sharp line might just be camera exposure ;9

Bear Country Bully Decent Weasel's Avatar
    My go-to for something of this ilk would be a Lockwood engine - basically like a pulsejet, but has no moving parts, and uses retreating blast waves as pistons to suck fresh air into the engine. You can build them out of pipes and spark plugs and run them on propane. Of course they howl obnoxiously, but c'est la vie.
    It would certainly explain the lack of an apparent intake - on a valveless pulsejet, both the inlet and the outlet point backwards, and one can be arranged in the form of a concentric ring around the other. Or they can be side-by-side as shown here; trouble with that hypothesis would be the crew sitting where the engine piping would have to be - and these things get hot, like, red hot.
    Last edited by Decent Weasel; 11-19-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Right; I don't see that there's room for a pulsejet. (Also, what a shock that your suggestion is a valveless pulsejet. )

Okay, the line being camera exposure probably makes this easier, though it still doesn't explain the glow right behind the engines.

Hm. It's also probably of note that, unless there's some sort of odd, concealed telescoping system, the crew compartment covers appear to retract into a space that doesn't actually fit inside the vehicle. Actually, that means that there's probably some dimensional strangeness here... which means that engine size might not be an issue. On the other hand, of course, it raises the question of how Gadget is doing that. Which brings this back to magictech.
    Now, she could have used some sort of concealed telescoping system, but that seems to me overcomplicated when she could have just put the covers forward of the openings, where there's a lot more room she could have used. But, if she had warped space or a dimensional pocket or whatever behind the passenger compartments anyway, for the engines, she might have decided to make use of them for the covers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Decent Weasel View Post
    My go-to for something of this ilk would be a Lockwood engine - basically like a pulsejet, but has no moving parts, and uses retreating blast waves as pistons to suck fresh air into the engine. You can build them out of pipes and spark plugs and run them on propane. Of course they howl obnoxiously, but c'est la vie.
    It would certainly explain the lack of an apparent intake - on a valveless pulsejet, both the inlet and the outlet point backwards, and one can be arranged in the form of a concentric ring around the other. Or they can be side-by-side as shown here; trouble with that hypothesis would be the crew sitting where the engine piping would have to be - and these things get hot, like, red hot.
    Holy crap--you actually still POST here?! O.o;
    "Ahh, Frankie Sinatra, ahh, Frank Sinatra, Frankie me boy, you don't know, you have the perfect voice to sing calypso."

Issue 3 Page 13

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
    Holy crap--you actually still POST here?! O.o;
    Always nice when my work brings someone out of hiding :9

EDIT: ...even if it is because I used Kerbal Space Program logic to design a nifty doodad for the girls to fly in on

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTheWoof View Post
    Always nice when my work brings someone out of hiding :9

EDIT: ...even if it is because I used Kerbal Space Program logic to design a nifty doodad for the girls to fly in on
    UGH! Friggin' Kerbal Space Program......the bane of my existence....
    "Ahh, Frankie Sinatra, ahh, Frank Sinatra, Frankie me boy, you don't know, you have the perfect voice to sing calypso."

Bear Country Bully Decent Weasel's Avatar
    Ohhhhhhh, see, if it's KSP logic they're probably just a couple 48-7Ss.

Quote Originally Posted by Decent Weasel View Post
    Ohhhhhhh, see, if it's KSP logic they're probably just a couple 48-7Ss.
    If it's KSP logic, then it SUCKS. :P