Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games; video, tabletop, or otherwise...

Games; video, tabletop, or otherwise...

So, has anyone been playing any particularly interesting or exciting games? Are there any old favourites that you have, that are worth a mention? Feel free to mention any sorts of games that might be appropriate, be they video games, tabletop games, roleplaying games, or otherwise.

Games of the sexual variety are (probably) not appropriate for this thread...

I've been trying to enjoy the latest installment of the video game The Escapists, now that the second one has been released. Unfortunately, while the game is a fun pixel-art top-down prison escape simulator, it is also a buggy mess.

One older first-person adventure video game that I enjoy dipping into from time to time is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, which is actually based on a pen-and-paper roleplaying game called Vampire: The Masquerade. The video game itself is a mad romp into the world of the supernatural and vampire clans, with semi-realistic graphics and tonnes of atmosphere. It's quite old now, being first released in November 2004, so some people might consider it a bit lame from a technical perspective. To me, however, it's a game that will never grow old. (Link to GOG if you want to check it out: https://www.gog.com/game/vampire_the...ade_bloodlines)

Crusader Kings 2 is another game I've been diving into quite a bit lately. It's a grand strategy game, based in Christian Europe during the times of the Crusades. It's a bit hard to explain, as the scope of the game is quite broad, but it's essentially a 'realm' simulator; pick a Count, Duke, or King, and manage your realm and the people therein. Experience the excitement of marshalling your troops, declaring wars, arranging marriages, spying on your rivals, and getting infected with typhus. Various DLCs allow you to play as other nations, such as a pagan vikings, or a Muslim Emir, or an Indian Prince. It's fun, but complex, and it has a fairly steep learning curve. (Link to Steam if you want to check it out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/20...ader_Kings_II/)

Outside of computer games, I have been having a bit of fun trying to track down a bunch of nargles that have been worrying the neighbourhood. I think I've got them cornered in a patch of aquifoliaceae down the road, but they are tricky.

So, what about it? What have you been playing?

Been playing on and off with a few SNES games like Yoshi's Island, 2 NHL games like NHLPA 93 and Stanley Cup and Super Mario All-Stars. Also Sonic Mega Collection Plus on PS2. Just recently Mighty Magiswords Surley Your Quest on my iPad.

Fan/Supporter of
    MICHAEL JACKSON & NARUHINA

Gotten back into No Man's Sky. The latest update completely threw off my old exploring record so I've had to start using a new naming regimen for star systems and planets. Which reminds me, I need to see if they'll allow "moose" as a name for animals (it used to set off the profanity filter)... instead of naming something a "Fanged Moon Moose" I had to name it a "Fanged Moon Bullwinkle". It did allow "Carnivorous Jackass", though.

Also dug up a version of Imperialism that's compatible with a newer computer and been playing with that. Mmmmm... nostalgia...

Doing all that while on a hiatus from Crusader Kings 2. Had to get some of the DLCs so that I could play as one of my Muslim ancestors (Musa Fortunez, ruler of Najera). I was impressed by the amount of detail put into your character participating in the Hajj... and in handling the personal politics of a medieval court. It wasn't until yesterday that it occurred to me that some part of my family's history can't be recreated... the Caliph of Cordoba had "gifted" his most beautiful harem slave to Musa's grandson, Lope, who freed and married her.
    "Semper Fidelis Tyrranasaurus!" - Number 21

"Josh Billings is not a Spice Girl!" - Me

"There is no penguin mafia." - the Penguin Mafia

KS

I don't really play many games anymore other than RPGs (on IRC), because I'm so busy, but when I do get a chance, it's all sorts of different games. Playing FreeOrion now.

I started playing an on-rails shooter called Gal*Gun Double Peace which has been quite a lot of fun. It's an anime-themed game, set in a Japanese high school. You play as a school boy, who has been accidentally hit with an overcharged cupid's arrow, courtesy of a clumsy angel-in-training. As such, girls are throwing themselves at him, and he has to fend them off as he works his way through various quests, to convince his true love of his... well... his true love.

(I'm about halfway through my first play through, and I somehow managed to make the object of my affections outright reject me, which is a painful reminder of all the rejections I suffered in high school.)

Quote Originally Posted by ksharbaugh View Post
    Gotten back into No Man's Sky.
    I wanted to love that game soooo much.

Damn stupid smiley smug Sean Murray and his over-hyped lies...

Doing all that while on a hiatus from Crusader Kings 2. Had to get some of the DLCs so that I could play as one of my Muslim ancestors (Musa Fortunez, ruler of Najera).
    You're descended from Islamic royalty? Oh wow! That's so amazingly cool!

Although I'm sure you've already seen him, for everyone else who might be interested, I screencapped what Muza looks like when I loaded up an instance of the game in the early medieval times:

In this instance, the game lists him as having poor (0) diplomacy (the scroll icon), fair (6) martial skill (the cross swords icon), reasonable (10) stewardship (the money chest and coins icon), middling ( intrigue (the dagger and envelope icon), and fair (6) learning (the book icon). It also shows him as being a 'Thrifty Clerk' (the square yellow icon, with the coins stacked atop a wall), 'Stubborn' (the donkey icon), 'Craven' (the ostrich with head buried icon), 'Honest' (the talking about a red oblong icon), and 'Envious' (the green with envy icon). It also lists him as 24 years old (up the top right, near the 'W' Wikipedia icon), and that he's a member of the Sunni Islam faith (the green crescent and moon). The game also shows 25% decadence, but that's pretty much meaningless, because all Muslim characters start with 25% decadence.

(I don't know to what degree this data is randomised for this particular instance of the game, or to what degree it was procedurally generated, or to what degree it is hand-crafted by artisanal historians, but it was still very, very cool to see one of KS's ancestor's...)

I was impressed by the amount of detail put into your character participating in the Hajj... and in handling the personal politics of a medieval court. It wasn't until yesterday that it occurred to me that some part of my family's history can't be recreated... the Caliph of Cordoba had "gifted" his most beautiful harem slave to Musa's grandson, Lope, who freed and married her.
    I know that it is possible for some male leaders in some cultures to take concubines, and I know it is possible for a leader to offer another leader one of the women of his court, however, I don't think that there is anything within Crusader Kings 2 that simulates harems. High School DxD, on the other hand...

Everyone is descended from royalty. In general royalty weren't known for having few children. It's just sort of how heredity works; eventually you become ancestor to everyone or nobody. It's knowing the specifics that is cool.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryce For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Everyone is descended from royalty. In general royalty weren't known for having few children. It's just sort of how heredity works; eventually you become ancestor to everyone or nobody. It's knowing the specifics that is cool.
    Well, I just like to think that having the DNA of Genghis Khan in me makes me more awesome than I really am. <---probably not related to Genghis Khan at all

Read my evil European political blog
    : http://cdrrpb.blogspot.com/ Last updated: 4 December 2007

It's knowing the specifics that is cool.
    Well, I didn't want to mention it, but... my mother and grandmother both assure me that I (and they) are descended from Sir Richard Whittington, four times Lord Mayor of London of the late medieval period (and money-lender to the King of England). And, I have been told he did not actually own a cat.

A quote I encountered while doing genealogical research went "There is no king who does not carry the blood of slaves and no slave who does not carry the blood of kings."

As far as Musa's stats in CK 2, they're pretty much just randomly generated. Neither he or his first son survived long enough (both assassinated early in their rule) to make enough of an impact to justify giving them anything permanent. One of his younger sons, however, was considerably more famous... Musa Musez (or Muza ibn Muza, or Moses Jr) became known as Musa the Great, considered the "Third King of Spain". Under his rule, the Banu Qasi clan became so powerful that their territory is often portrayed as separate from the rest of Andalusia.
    "Semper Fidelis Tyrranasaurus!" - Number 21

"Josh Billings is not a Spice Girl!" - Me

"There is no penguin mafia." - the Penguin Mafia

KS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ksharbaugh For This Useful Post:

Little pony, apparently Winston's Avatar
    As a direct descendant of the most recent common ancestor of all eukaryotes, I'm part of the same lineage as every royal and noble family that has ever existed, as well as various non-human "royalty" such as the queens of eusocial hymenopertans.

Next time you feel like crap about yourself, just remember, you too are trans-species multiple-super-royalty.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Winston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    As a direct descendant of the most recent common ancestor of all eukaryotes...
    No way! I looked it up, and guess what...! Me too! We're relatives!

People always said that the Internet was full of ways to reconnect with family! I just wasn't expecting it to happen like this!

Probably not in the same category. But Words With Friends on my phone is killing me. :P
    "Ahh, Frankie Sinatra, ahh, Frank Sinatra, Frankie me boy, you don't know, you have the perfect voice to sing calypso."

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
    Probably not in the same category. But Words With Friends on my phone is killing me. :P
    Back when I was a little 'un, we called it Scrabble, and we walked to my grand-uncle's hovel to play it, sixty-five miles away, through blinding sand-storms and scorching desert, and in spite of the fact he had lost all of the vowel tiles. Ah, the good old days. Things were better back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Soda View Post
    sixty-five miles away, through blinding sand-storms and scorching desert
    Oh, right, Australia. Here in North America, if I'm informed correctly by those old enough to remember such things, it just snowed all year 'round in a perpetual blizzard with gale-force winds. Most places were, thankfully, closer than sixty-five miles, but the walk there and back was always uphill both ways, so I guess it's a wash.

Back when I was a little 'un, we called it Scrabble, and we walked to my grand-uncle's hovel to play it, sixty-five miles away, through blinding sand-storms and scorching desert, and in spite of the fact he had lost all of the vowel tiles. Ah, the good old days. Things were better back then.
    I know, right? This new-fangled smart phone nonsense....I can't even flip the game board when I lose now. :P
    "Ahh, Frankie Sinatra, ahh, Frank Sinatra, Frankie me boy, you don't know, you have the perfect voice to sing calypso."

You can flip your phone. Just make sure to catch it before it hits the ground or it gets expensive real quick.

You can flip your phone. Just make sure to catch it before it hits the ground or it gets expensive real quick.
    I'm good. I have a very functional case and screen protector.

On the topic of board games, I read this interesting article about Monopoly, and how rigging the game in favour of one person can drastically alter their behaviour, their sense of privilege, and even their perception.

http://planetsave.com/2013/12/23/a-r...ior-ted-video/

(There is a TED talk linked in there, but I haven't seen it yet, sorry...)

Oh, right, Australia. Here in North America, if I'm informed correctly by those old enough to remember such things, it just snowed all year 'round in a perpetual blizzard with gale-force winds. Most places were, thankfully, closer than sixty-five miles, but the walk there and back was always uphill both ways, so I guess it's a wash.
    I actually met a bloke like that yesterday. I was waiting for a bus with my boyfriend, while a cleaner was busy scrubbing down the bus stop with some cool, newfangled electric broom with water spraying thingamajig attachment. I was happy waiting out of the way, of course, because a clean bus stop is good for everyone.

Anyways, along comes Mister Cranky (about fifty years old, I guess) with two children (I'm guessing approximately pre-school or kindergarten aged). Of course, he's upset someone is cleaning the bus stop, and starts yelling (literally yelling) at the cleaner for cleaning the bus stop. He told the cleaner that he was 'of impaired intelligence' (not his words) for cleaning a bus stop at 2:00pm in the afternoon, and that he should come back at 6:00pm to clean it then, 'when nobody would be using it' (apparently?). Things were different, back in his day, and young men showed respect to their elders. Of course, the poor cleaner copped the lot of it, so after Mister Cranky had his say and had to make do with standing nearby, I wandered over the the cleaner to make sure that he was okay.

The cleaner seemed really happy that I'd taken the time to make sure that he was okay, especially I told him not to worry about Mister Cranky, because Mister Cranky is just Mister Cranky, and Mister Cranky is rude.

The cleaner was happy, but not so Mister Cranky, who had wandered over to find out what I was up to, talking to this somehow dangerous and subversive cleaner. Mister Cranky was not happy that I had decided to make sure that the cleaner was okay from being abused, so Mister Cranky had a bit of a fit. I was happily giggling at Mister Cranky's overt crankiness until he insulted my boyfriend (who had stayed completely out of this, by playing on his mobile cellphone). Apparently all the kids these days have become 'zombies on their smartphones' and were ruining the world, and you wouldn't have seen anything like it when Mister Cranky was younger.

I don't take well to people insulting my boyfriend, so I politely and calmly asked Mister Cranky why he felt that the cleaner had any control over the particular time when the bus stop gets cleaned. I reminded (or perhaps, attempted to educate) Mister Cranky that the cleaner has absolutely no control whatsoever over the times he works. I explained to Mister Cranky that, if he has a problem with someone providing a civic service, like cleaning a bus stop, he should complain to the people in charge, like the cleaner's boss, or the cleaner's boss's boss. Every sentence I made was punctuated with some illuminating witticism from Mister Cranky, such as 'Oh come on,' and 'Don't give me that'. But eventually, I think something actually dawned in his head, because he grumbled something and turned off to look after the two children in his charge.

I don't harbour a grudge against Mister Cranky. I just wish people wouldn't be so angry at each other all the time.

...Gal*Gun Double Peace...
    I finished the game, and somehow got rejected. I don't know what I did wrong. The game said that I'd won, but I feel like utter garbage.
    "Mistletoe... it's often infested with nargles." -Luna Lovegood