Thread: That Damned Writing Itch

That Damned Writing Itch

It's been too long since I have written fanfiction. Life tends to force you into moving on like that. Though I can't deny that RR fanfic ideas still plague me till this day. How about this rest of you?
    "Light got disconnect?ed from the community, and Ducky seems to be in love with him"

I find it really hard to creatively construct interesting storylines without personally sabotaging it with cringe-worthy self-insertion and self-aggrandisement. Sometimes it makes me all feel a bit glum, really.
    "Mistletoe... it's often infested with nargles." -Luna Lovegood

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Soda For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Soda View Post
    I find it really hard to creatively construct interesting storylines without personally sabotaging it with cringe-worthy self-insertion and self-aggrandisement. Sometimes it makes me all feel a bit glum, really.
    That's why it's called fanfiction, Soda! The beauty of it is to do whatever you want with it, including self-insertion, which has its own sub-genre in the lore of fanfiction. If we're going to be self deprecating here, then tell me how your works are any worse than mine? Can any fanfiction of mine not have angst, or are Chip 'n' Dale always miserable and crying over a failed mission, a lost love, or being in the closet? Haha
    "Light got disconnect?ed from the community, and Ducky seems to be in love with him"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Light For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    That's why it's called fanfiction, Soda! The beauty of it is to do whatever you want with it, including self-insertion, which has its own sub-genre in the lore of fanfiction. If we're going to be self deprecating here, then tell me how your works are any worse than mine? Can any fanfiction of mine not have angst, or are Chip 'n' Dale always miserable and crying over a failed mission, a lost love, or being in the closet? Haha
    Thanks, Light. Well, I'll have a think about writing something. If it's halfway decent, I might even post it here...
    "Mistletoe... it's often infested with nargles." -Luna Lovegood

My issue is I always have more ideas than time to write them all.

My other issue is sometimes I don't know where to put the idea. For example "Closer to Fine" I think with a TON of editing and some expansion could actually be maybe worth something beyond just a fun fan fic story. So then you kind of wonder should I just do this idea as an original thing? Especially by the time it's only just kinda related, and pretty far removed from the fandom it's related to it becomes easier to think "yeah it could probably stand on it's own."

Think that's why I've done more short stories lately (or scenes, I'm not sure they're long enough to call them 'stories' lol ) plus it's a lot easier to finish off, which I have a bad habit of having a folder with the first four or so chapters of something but nothing else.

Be interested to hear what others think on it. Great topic light, thanks for instigating!
    Erik Berg
    RRC++ R+ P++ TH (A-;I-;Dr-;Hu+;In-;Mu-;R+;P+;Sl+;Su+) ME->++ Ix! CR+ Cc++g+++!m++z+f++t-- Ec++d-g+++! D M++ Zm GH++ L! Ge++ Pc+++!d--o--- SSs(2)r(21)bk(12)
    CnD+++ Pc+;r++ Ea-;f++;m+;k+;w+ Achp++;dle;gdg++ Mgdg++;chp+;dle- Rchp&gdg++ I F++ V++ Tr?;g? Daco++ Zm

Little pony, apparently Winston's Avatar
    I've only written pony stories for the last few years. The characters in MLP, in my view, have a good sense of realism as individual people with blurry lines and complex identities and avoid being unelaborated trope-glob archetype/stereotypes. That interests me, as well as ponies just having huge audience (real talk, authors are attention whores and like to have their work actually get read, and I won't deny that fact).

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    I've only written pony stories for the last few years. The characters in MLP, in my view, have a good sense of realism as individual people with blurry lines and complex identities and avoid being unelaborated trope-glob archetype/stereotypes. That interests me, as well as ponies just having huge audience (real talk, authors are attention whores and like to have their work actually get read, and I won't deny that fact).
    It's kind of funny in some ways it's just the oppisite for me. I've thought on writing in MLP, and had some ideas in it, but never got around to in part because I felt that the show and other authors (you included) had done a pretty great job elaborating on them. Part of why I've kind of moved to the 'new' generation of Rangers for lack of a better term (lots of stuff with Gale a hypothetical Dale Gadget daughter created by Sara) is one can flesh out the character on one's own terms, without having to worry about continuity, or anything else

Although I'd be remiss in saying the 'reception' in the MLP isn't awfully tempting. Feedback and people actually reading your stuff is always desired so moving to topics that elicit that makes perfect sense.
    Erik Berg
    RRC++ R+ P++ TH (A-;I-;Dr-;Hu+;In-;Mu-;R+;P+;Sl+;Su+) ME->++ Ix! CR+ Cc++g+++!m++z+f++t-- Ec++d-g+++! D M++ Zm GH++ L! Ge++ Pc+++!d--o--- SSs(2)r(21)bk(12)
    CnD+++ Pc+;r++ Ea-;f++;m+;k+;w+ Achp++;dle;gdg++ Mgdg++;chp+;dle- Rchp&gdg++ I F++ V++ Tr?;g? Daco++ Zm

Since 2006 I've had ideas about fanfiction storylines that I never got around to writing. 2006. 11 years later my brain still itches and I find myself contemplating how I'd write fanfiction with the way my style has changed in time. 2006 was such a wonderful year because there were enough people around at both here and at the Acorn Cafe to read my works, enjoy them, and give constructive criticism. I'm afraid over half of those users have moved on or have even passed since then :/

These past several years have given me an anxiety and lack of motivation to further pursue fanficiton. Whether it was the anonymous /i/nvasion of the acorn cafe, being referred to as a mentally disturbed furry, or just life itself. That might all change soon...