Thread: Unique fandoms

Unique fandoms

You're a furry, a rangerphile, or just...you. But talk about a group you've come across that's far out there. This isn't meant to judge others, but simply to be a personal, humorous account of your experiences on the interwebs and those who inhabit it.
    "Light got disconnect?ed from the community, and Ducky seems to be in love with him"

Little pony, apparently Winston's Avatar
    I don't think it's gonna get weirder than the Russian CDRR fandom (assuming that whole deal's not some sort of interesting hoax).

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    You're a furry, a rangerphile, or just...you. But talk about a group you've come across that's far out there. This isn't meant to judge others, but simply to be a personal, humorous account of your experiences on the interwebs and those who inhabit it.
    The most unusual community I've encountered would be the tulpa community. The tulpa community is comprised of people who attempt to create an entirely separate lifeform(s) within their own heads. This supposedly independently-thinking being is called a tulpa (or tulpae, plural). Most psychologists would possibly call it self-induced dissociative identity disorder, or just plain mental illness.

For a while, during a period of desperate loneliness, I was a member of one such community that focused specifically on My Little Pony-based tulpae. It obviously didn't do much to help my then-derranged mental state, and after some incredibly vicious in-fighting, I grew apart from the tulpa groups I knew.

Nowadays, I do not believe in tulpae or 'tulpamancy' (as some call it) and I am incredibly concerned about the psychological damage it may (most probably) do.

(And yes, I encountered and spoke with the infamous Jin in various chatrooms and forums, but thankfully not real life.)
    "Mistletoe... it's often infested with nargles." -Luna Lovegood

I've seen forums run by furries who hated each other as well as themselves. Quite a stark contrast to what the community really is and I've certainly come to appreciate how nice a majority of them are. The whole idea with some of these forums was to stand against the sexualized aspects of their fandom but like everything on the internet, you can never have nice things, and they ended up trolling themselves into constant flame wars.

There was even a fandom devoted to the idea, and made it an option on their website, to marry a fictional character from their favorite shows and movies. You can imagine how ridiculous, dark, and even gross it got...
    "Light got disconnect?ed from the community, and Ducky seems to be in love with him"

Sonic

I really don't need to say anything else. Everyone not obsessed with it seems to loathe the fandom and think it's toxic waste. And I totally agree, it is obsessed with some truly assanine crap. I only ever owned the basic Sonic the Hedgehog game for the Master System, and never cared much for the games that came after the Mega Drive era. I am amazed at how many superfluous, redundand characters the series spawned, and I'm someone who thought Knuckles was a lame troll and unnecessary.

And the arguements. Don't even start them if you value your life. Though, I will say I pity any fan who ever tries to trump those with 'only the Japanese stuff is canon!'. That might work for an actually Japanese company like Capcom. But Sega is originally American. It was once based in Hawaii, and followed US GIs to Japan where there was a market for entertainment hardware catered to folk with disposable income. A few mergers later, you have Sega. I'm sure it's now staffed largely by local businesspeople and personnel and even the early company people integrated long ago. But it kind of undercuts the Japaneseness of the company, in a land that does have a reputation for being standoff-ish to 'outsiders'. So take that.

Good day and really though, it's not like I care about this arguement or anything. The Sonic fandom is still stupid. Baka!

Read my evil European political blog
    : http://cdrrpb.blogspot.com/ Last updated: 4 December 2007

Little pony, apparently Winston's Avatar

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Winston For This Useful Post:

I once saw someone on a forum claiming to be trying to build a portal to Equestria that was powered by quantum mechanical words strung together. The builder was trying to hit people up for money to buy an oscilloscope or something relatively mundane like that.

Man. If all you needed to build an interdimensional portal was an oscilloscope and some wishful thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Man. If all you needed to build an interdimensional portal was an oscilloscope and some wishful thinking...
    Oh gosh... it all makes sense now... I should've realised.

*hurriedly assembles a contraption, comprising of an oscilloscope welded together with a bunch of quantum mechanical devices*

HOLD ON TWILIGHT... I'M COMING, DARLING...

twilightportal.jpg
    "Mistletoe... it's often infested with nargles." -Luna Lovegood

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Soda For This Useful Post:

Make sure to drive at that portal in a DeLorean. Once that baby hits the wall at 88 miles/per hour, you're gonna see some serious sh*t.

Read my evil European political blog
    : http://cdrrpb.blogspot.com/ Last updated: 4 December 2007

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CD For This Useful Post: