View Poll Results: What should I review next?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Rangers of NIMH (By Gonterman, need I say more?)

1 11.11%
  • Out of Range (Everyone but Gadget dies. Before the first chapter.)

7 77.78%
  • Those ones with the Wolverine-like Marty Stu.

0 0%
  • Something Good. (Specify, please.)

1 11.11%
  • Nothing! Go away!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [1] Bryce Reviews: Gadget in Chains

Lightbulb [1] Bryce Reviews: Gadget in Chains

I reviewed Loneheart's Gadget in Chains, a strange but very ambitious work of Rescue Rangers fanfiction. Enjoy. Here's the link to the review.

(Obviously, this is intended humorously. If you have comments or suggestions for my next fanfic review, or want to collaborate on one, let me know.)

Re: A funny review of a strange CDRR fanfic (with pictures)

Great review. You're not afraid to speak your mind.
    "Light got disconnect?ed from the community, and Ducky seems to be in love with him"

Dude! Great Stuff!

Heh the next review project you should work on is the overrated "Of Mouse And Mayhem!" comic.
    "Shutting down military bases and ceasing to deal with other nations with threats and violence is not isolationism it is the opposite; opening ourselves up to friendship, honest trade, diplomacy and is a foreign policy to peace and prosperity." - Ron Paul March 9, 2009

www.ronpaulforums.com

I just voted Out of Range, if only so I'll have a reason to finish reading it ("fear leads to anger, anger leads to the Dark side..."). I would also say Gonterman's magnum opus, but I just found that one too crazy to be taken serious, whereas OoR has really dreadful amounts of angst. I hope you'll keep up these reviews.

Oh, and the one with the Wolverine-like Mary Stu was written by someone who was killed.

Good day and I wonder what else would qualify.

Read my evil European political blog
    : http://cdrrpb.blogspot.com/ Last updated: 4 December 2007

Quote Originally Posted by honkycabbit
    Heh the next review project you should work on is the overrated "Of Mouse And Mayhem!" comic.
    I agree that Of Mice and Mayhem is overrated, but it's still pretty good, and I only have about five jokes to make at its expense - I don't know if that would provide sufficient humor for an entire review. For that one, though, I think I would do a spoof where Gadget romances, and subsequently marries, her favorite wrench. And they have children.

Spoiler:
    GADGET: Thanks to the 4mm high carbon steel castellated nut that was embedded in my left ovary by that terrible factory explosion we survived, I'm genetically compatible with most tools!

WRENCH: (Doesn't say anything, because it's a wrench.)

GADGET: Isn't that wonderful?

Thanks for your feedback. I have read Out of Range and am in the process of reviewing it; expect the finished review in a few weeks depending on my workload. My first impression is that it really is a study in contrasts to Gadget in Chains; Out of Range has a lot of drama and dialogue that is unintentionally humorous and rather amateurish writing. On the other hand, whereas Gadget in Chains drags on and on, Out of Range has a strong conclusion and is actually sort of fun to read, not at all the mood you'd expect from it after the beginning. There's also definitely a lot of good mockable material there, so you guys picked a good one.

I'll be looking forward to the review, Bryce. Also, out of curiosity, have you ever written any fanfics?

*Applauds this epic review* Hats off to you, Bryce. This is witty and just pure awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by honkycabbit

Nay!!!! Nay, I say. 'Tis not overrated in my opinion and therefore I shall call you a poop-head. (Ain't I mature, folks?)

Thanks Wiggles.

I am afraid I have to agree that Of Mice and Mayhem is a bit overrated, though. It's not bad by any means, but some people seem to think it descended in a cloud from on high or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ModernTimes
    I'll be looking forward to the review, Bryce. Also, out of curiosity, have you ever written any fanfics?
    Apart from a couple parodies, no. I don't do "serious" fan-fiction because I find it too constraining creatively. (I've written some original fiction, which is available on my website, though it is pretty mediocre so you're not missing much anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce
    I am afraid I have to agree that Of Mice and Mayhem is a bit overrated, though. It's not bad by any means, but some people seem to think it descended in a cloud from on high or something.
    Yes... the pros

I like it, even though I had to change the title of my first fanfic because it was rather similar (it was to have been called "Of Mice And Man", for reasons you discover by the end of chapter two) and Fish originally had my much used handle. Sure, it's a little over-rated but you can't argue there's been nothing like it before or since.

As for one specific note on the first chapter of "Out of Range", you'd need to read my second fanfic Bryce... but then again that was at least heralded quite a bit in AC circles rather than reviled heh...
    Going to war over religion is basically killing one another to see who's got the better imaginary friend...

Did you also write a fanfic named Out of Range, Mayhem? Because the Out of Range I'm thinking of was not written by you, and was quite reviled throughout the fandom for its downer opening, and everything going downhill from there.

Read my evil European political blog
    : http://cdrrpb.blogspot.com/ Last updated: 4 December 2007

Nope... my second story is called "Time Waits For No One" but to all intents and purposes, it does start off in a similar vein...
    Going to war over religion is basically killing one another to see who's got the better imaginary friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    As for one specific note on the first chapter of "Out of Range", you'd need to read my second fanfic Bryce... but then again that was at least heralded quite a bit in AC circles rather than reviled heh...
    Link? Thanks.

[Edit: Nevermind, found it. Um... interesting.]

Although I was going to point out you need to read my first story first to understand what's going on...

Lightbulb Re: A funny review of a strange CDRR fanfic (with pictures)

Out of Range too!

The text of my review of Out of Range is finished. Working on review illustrations (1/4 finished). Should be done on schedule (i.e. next week.)

I've also been perusing the literature for future review subjects. You think OM&M is heavy-handed with its shipping? Try this. Nothing like having angels from heaven tell Gadget to settle down.
    Spoiler:
    GADGET: I don't really want to choose between Chip or Dale.
    ANGEL: Deep down, you know you love Chip. Now, have his babies!
    (Paraphrased.)

Actually, the whole obsession with Gadget having babies is sort of interesting, it crops up a lot in bad fanfic. I suspect that this is because it's a difficult subject to handle (i.e, it is likely to be poorly done and therefore to make a fanfic bad), given the complete lack of canonical precedent and the delicate balance between avoiding the denial of Gadget's feminine qualities and shoehorning her into a traditional gender role. Most seem to fall nearer the latter extreme...

Gerard Andrews here (writer of Out of Range).

Looking forward to your review, knowing that to probably paraphrase Tolkien, "A man who breaks a thing to find out what he has, has left the path of knowledge." Guilty as charged!

Gadget was always stronger than my best attempts to break her.

G.A. (Andrew Garrett)

Quote Originally Posted by animwriter
    Gerard Andrews here (writer of Out of Range).
    I definitely didn't expect you to be in the audience! Anyway, it's nice to know you're around (and writing rather better) fourteen-odd years later.

Anyhow, the text of the Out of Range review has been proofread and reviewed, and 3.5 of 4 images are finished. I'll probably finish the illustrations this weekend, but if not the release of the review may be delayed on account of a neurophysiology exam on Wednesday
    Attached Images Attached Images

My apologizes for the necropost but ever since I first read the review I've been wanting to say this: I liked it, yet I feel that the Gadget in Chains review nearly placed it as the Rescue Rangers equivalent of Agony in Pink (If you have no idea what fanfiction that is, look it up).

Quote Originally Posted by JackalPaws View Post
    My apologizes for the necropost but ever since I first read the review I've been wanting to say this: I liked it, yet I feel that the Gadget in Chains review nearly placed it as the Rescue Rangers equivalent of Agony in Pink (If you have no idea what fanfiction that is, look it up).
    Sadly, I do know of that work of fanfiction. Gadget in Chains cannot claim the title "Rescue Rangers equivalent of Agony in Pink," but there will be water skiing in the Qattara depression before I review the appalling work that can claim it.

Is the review hard on Gadget in Chains? Sure, that's why it's funny. But Gadget in Chains is basically a bunch of scenes with terrible things happening to Gadget and Lahwhinie strung together, and it apes a lot of classic prison literature/film while missing the point. (E.g. Gadget is essentially innocent, where is the redemptive aspect? Would Les Mis be nearly as good if Valjean had been falsely accused? I don't think so!)

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.
    Last edited by Bryce; 04-13-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Pronoun reference